I’ve been eating a lot of vegetarian food recently. Not because I’m interested in vegatarianism as a lifestyle and moral choice, but it’s just a lot cheaper to order a veggie curry v. meat/seafood curry at my favourite Thai restaurant. I know. I am so fiscally responsible (tell that to the brand new dress/boots/bag/jacket I just bought).
Anyway, I recently bought a can of beans (the exact variety and brand in the photo), thinking I’d have a use for them one day. This is all a part of my new adventures in the culinary arts, btw. So in lieu of my newfound so-called vegetarianism, I decided to use up the last of some tofu I had in my fridge and make a bean & tofu salad.
- 1 can of mixed beans
- 1 coarsely chopped medium-sized bell pepper (any colour is fine)
- 1 quarter of a small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup of firm tofu, diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup of chopped cremini mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the bean-y water from the can, then rinse and drain the beans in fresh water. Let dry.
- Chop up all your ingredients
- Heat a pan to medium-high with a dash of olive oil
- Toss in your diced tofu cubes and lightly fry until golden brown on all sides (doesn’t have to be perfectly even) *Side note: if you don’t like raw garlic, I suggest throwing in the minced garlic in the pan to make it nice and toasty
- In a mixing bowl, throw in all veggies and tofu
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top
- Carefully mix all ingredients together, making sure not to mush up all the beans
- Serve right away, or refrigerate and eat later
I’ve got so much dang fibre in me now. Who needs Fibre1 bars?